In just over a week i will be taking a trip to New York City for the first time! So it seemed high time to find some facts.
- Unlike most major subways systems around the world, the New York Subway runs 24 hours a day.
- Since 2005, New York City has the lowest crime rate of the 25 largest US cities.
- 36% of the current population of New York City was born outside the United States.
- The state fruit is the apple.
- New York City was was briefly the US capital from 1789 to 1790 and was the site of the inauguration of George Washington as President on April 30, 1789.
- 100 million Chinese food cartons are used annually in New York City.
- The Dutch supposedly bought Manhattan from its Native American inhabitants for about $24 worth of trinkets
- New York’s Central Park is larger than the principality of Monaco
- New York’s Yellow Cabs are yellow because John Hertz, the company’s founder, learned from a study that yellow was the easiest color for the eye to spot.
- More than 250 feature films are shot on location in New York City each year.
- The New York City subway system runs 26 routes with 6,200 subway cars that stop at 468 different subway stations.
- Although many legends exist about the origin of New York City’s nickname, the Big Apple, most historians agree that it can be traced back to a writer who covered horse racing in the 1920s. In The Morning Telegraph, he wrote that stable hands often referred to New York as the Big Apple, meaning that any thoroughbred that raced in New York had reached the pinnacle of racing.
- The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the people of France in honor of the United States’ enduring dedication to freedom and democracy and of the alliance held between the two countries during the American Revolution.
- Since 1908, Central Park has appeared in over 240 feature films, thereby making it the most filmed public park in the world!
- New York City encompasses the five boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island.
Any stories, must visit places or restaurant recommendations?